Property insurance is a broad term for a series of policies that provide either property protection coverage or liability coverage for property owners. Property insurance provides financial reimbursement to the owner or renter of a structure and its contents in case there is damage or theft—and to a person other than the owner or renter if that person is injured on the property.

Property insurance can include a number of policies, such as homeowners insurance, renters insurance, flood insurance, and earthquake insurance. Personal property is usually covered by a homeowners or renters policy. The exception is personal property that is very high value and expensive—this is usually covered by purchasing an addition to the policy called a "rider." If there's a claim, the property insurance policy will either reimburse the policyholder for the actual value of the damage or the replacement cost to fix the problem.



  • Property insurance refers to a series of policies that offer either property protection or liability coverage.

  • Property insurance can include homeowners insurance, renters insurance, flood insurance, and earthquake insurance, among other policies.

  • The three types of property insurance coverage include replacement cost, actual cash value, and extended replacement costs.


How does property insurance work?

Perils covered by property insurance typically include select weather-related afflictions, including damage caused by fire, smoke, wind, hail, the impact of snow and ice, lightning, and more. Property insurance also protects against vandalism and theft, covering the structure and its contents. Property insurance also provides liability coverage in case someone other than the property owner or renter is injured while on the property and decides to sue.

Property insurance policies normally exclude damage that results from a variety of events, including tsunamis, floods, drain and sewer backups, seeping groundwater, standing water, and a number of other sources of water. Mold is usually not covered, nor is the damage from an earthquake. In addition, most policies will not cover extreme circumstances, such as nuclear events, acts of war or terrorism.

IMPORTANT: Property insurance includes homeowners insurance, renters insurance, flood insurance, and earthquake insurance.

Our commitment to providing the highest level of service is paramount. More than 93% of our customers recommend TMM based on our superior claims service. TMM enjoys an A++ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best. With a solid foundation of financial stability, our strength lies in understanding your business and working in partnership to exceed your expectations.

Our range of products include:

  • Property (including Highly Protected Risk, Excess Layered and Inland Marine)

  • Package

  • General Liability

  • Auto Liability and Physical Damage

  • Excess /Umbrella Liability

  • Worker’s Compensation

  • Ocean Marine Cargo

By offering fully integrated solutions to meet our customers’ needs, we endeavor to deliver ANSHIN — safety, security, and peace of mind to all of our customers.